Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why?



Why?
After 5 days in Kigali, I am now back at the cottage. Why am I delighted to go back to having a ‘shower’ with a bucket and a cup by candle light? I do wonder.
Am I betraying western civilization? Am I being ungrateful to the white man’s conquest over harsh living conditions? Am I falling into the JJ Rousseau’s illusion that man was better before becoming civilised, domesticated? Am I discovering the simplicity, beauty and joy of everyday gestures? Am I going native? Am I regressing into a barbarian? Am I going to join the Byron Bay Ferals when I return to Australia? Will I get off the electricity grid and renounce tap water? Have I been hit by the gorilla syndrome? The answer to all the above is: ‘I am not sure’.
What is sure is that I enjoyed my ‘bucket and cup’ shower tonight. It feels good to be back in the Rugerero hills. I was also delighted to find out that I bought the right modem to make it possible for me to access Internet, read my emails and post this item on my blog...
Full of contradictions? Who? Me? You bet...

No comments:

Post a Comment