Friday, January 22, 2010

Having a beer with sister Josephine


Having a beer with sister Josephine


Has anybody out there ever had a beer with a catholic nun at her convent? I have!
I went to introduce myself to the mayor of the Nyaraguru district, Mr Felix Swomana (quite a long ride on the motorbike) to discuss the feasibility of installing solar panels a t the school. On the way back I stop at Muganza to say hello to Soeur Josephine. It is always such a nice feeling to enter her tidy and peaceful world at the health centre. She always make me feel welcome and wants to make sure that everything is OK back at the cottage. I tell her that everything is going well, I brief her on what I have done so far. She understands perfectly well what Abana is trying to achieve. Of all the people I have met so far, she is probably the one who gets it the most accurately.
She asks f I would like a ‘fizzy drink’. Politely (or impolitely?), I decline at first. She insists. I give in: ‘OK, then, thank you very much.’ She goes to the room next door and comes back with a large bottle of ‘fizzy drink’ and two glasses. The ‘fizzy drink’ is a beer. She says: ‘It’s OK, it’s nbot too strong’. She checks on the bottle: ‘4.5%, you see! Cheers!’
I had a beer with soeur Josephine. What an unforgettable experience. Beats Clovelly pub, any day...

No comments:

Post a Comment