Friday, January 22, 2010

A warrior in Afghanistan...



A warrior in Afghanistan
At the beginning of the UN intervention in Afghanistan, I remember reading an article about some US soldiers being parachuted in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan. They were on an information gathering mission. All were highly trained, highly intelligent, highly sophisticated soldiers. They could speak and read the Afghani language fluently, they were able to survive in the mountains in the most adverse conditions, get close to enemy line and send a huge amount of information back home. Their ‘smart’ uniform was equipped with incredibly sophisticated equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. ..
I arrive at Rugerero at night... But I am brought there by wonderfully friendly local people. I am not in enemy territory, not highly intelligent, but I am highly trained compared to most local teachers. I have very sophisticated equipment compared to schools which do not even have any supply of electricity. At this stage, I am unable to relay any information back to headquarters in Australia. All I have done so far is to observe, remain as open as I possibly can, help the teachers help the children on the hills. The objectives of the task ahead of me are quite clear and straightforward; its implementation will be more challenging. We shall see... At least we are not at war!

No comments:

Post a Comment