Friday, January 22, 2010

Meeting the neighbours: Papa Jacinth

Christine’s dad (Papa Jacinth) and Mado (Madeleine), one of his daughters, must have heard or seen the 4WD arrive from a distance. When we park the car in front of the cottage, they are both standing at each side of the front door, almost like two custodians of the cottage, where I will be spending the next three months. They are the welcome committee. They both greet me warmly: ‘‘Soyez le bienvenu ici’ (be welcome here) says Jacinth.
I am struck by the facial resemblance between them and Christine, back in Australia. Geography and destiny cannot fool genes! They certainly live in different worlds, though, I can’t help thinking.
WE speak French together as this is the only language that we have in common. He tells me, as we stand in front of the house: ‘you come from Australia, my daughter lives in Australia, so all Australians who come here are my children...’
I am deeply touched by the far reaching implications of this ‘simple’ statement...

No comments:

Post a Comment