Sunday, January 24, 2010

A group of women








A circle of local women. What is the link connecting them? They meet here every Wednesday morning . They sit quietly and discus matters such as financial planning, marketing strategies and product diversification... Do not smile, this is partly true! The local Protestant church sponsors their basket making skills. Basket making is one of the few handicrafts left in the area. How does this scheme work? Who are their customers? I am not sure. I will need to find the supervisor of this project to find out. I feel relieved that such tiny form of micro business does exist in the area, firstly because it is a source of cash income in the area (a very rare phenomenon indeed) and secondly because it preserves some form of traditional lifestyle.
Later that night, I have a lengthy conversation with Papa Jacinth. Next Wednesday, I will go and have a look at their work. I tell him about the concept of ‘micro lending’ developed by a Bangladeshi economist (and Nobel Prize winner). I have read somewhere that there exists such lending financial services in Rwanda and, when I am in Kigali, I am hoping to meet people who know how to set it up. The principle is quite simple. Special banks lend very small amounts of money to poor people, (who are NOT eligible to any loan in ‘normal’ banks) so they can start a small business – not in nano technology or manufacturing white goods, since there is no electricity or roads in the area) but perhaps a small bakery, a small dairy... I am not sure what, at this stage., but I will investigate possibilities.
I have been inspired by this group of women...

No comments:

Post a Comment