Friday, January 22, 2010

Washing my yoga mat in Rwanda


My yoga mat is 15 years old or more. I have used it in Australia, in France and now in Rwanda, as I have decided that it is the perfect opportunity to resume my practice... My yoga mat is very dirty. ‘Very filthy’ would describe it more accurately. Today, Saturday, whilst doing my morning practice, I decide: ‘Time for a wash, mat/e!’
Riddle: ‘How do you clean a filthy yoga mat without tap water, with just a bucket?’ Answer: ‘with great difficulty’. Rinsing and getting rid of the soap that has been deeply absorbed by the extremely spongy material is a hydraulic challenge which I am unable to solve... The problem is extremely serious, as trying to do a down-dog stretch on a slippery mat could look silly and unholy. Some Hindu goddess must have felt for me and has come to me. Mado walks in from next door. I asked for some technical advice... The consultant takes over and, a few minutes later, the mat is soap-free and is drying on the fence. Tomorrow morning, Sunday, I will do my yoga practice on a clean yoga mat. Rwanda, land of new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment