Friday, January 22, 2010

When there is a will, there is a Rwandan way




No electricity so far at the cottage where I live. Both generators are broken, including a new one that only works for four days, I am told. I have adapted to living without artificial light and I have set my upper limit to one small candle per day. I go to bed early and get up very early (which I have always liked to do anyway). So, why fix the generator? Not for light but to be able to recharge phone, camera and other types of batteries and to use my computer to type the notes I have taken throughout the day.
Today Jacinth and I decided to have the new broken generator sent to Muganza - 11 km away -where Soeur Josephine will make sure it is fixed. ‘How will we be able to take it there’, I don’t dare to ask. I don’t to raise this issue. Jacinth has already worked it out – the Rwandan way... He calls the man who looks after his cows and tells him to do so. He will be paid a few thousands RwFr (a couple of dollars) to do so. Within seconds, the cow man brings an old plank, cuts it with a machete, smoothes the rough edges, and attaches the generator to the plank with a string he has just made from some strong grass. Baptiste comes to help. Within a few minutes, the new broken generator is being transported on a very friendly Rwandan cowman to Muganza.
When there is a will, there is a Rwandan way...

No comments:

Post a Comment