Sunday, January 24, 2010

13 out of 64 Yeah...

Callixte, the assistant to the headmaster at Rugero, comes to see me whilst I am putting boxes of textbooks received from the Rwanda Government on shelves. He is quite excited... results from the national examination allowing children to go from primary education into secondary education have just arrived. ‘13 are in!!! It is very good, he adds. Some schools only managed one or two, some, even zero!’ Thirteen: a lucky number? I congratulate him first, and then pluck up my courage: ‘Out of how many? – ‘Out of 64’ he answers proudly. I make a quick calculation in my head: about 20% of children in the school complete their primary education successfully. He is happy with this percentage. I diplomatically congratulate him. In my head I can’t push away the thought: so, 80% fail. I already think ahead: ‘how about we set the goal to 50% minimum for the end of this coming academic year?’
‘Tell him he’s dreaming’ OR ‘Yes, we can’ ????

No comments:

Post a Comment