Friday, January 22, 2010

Time (and time again)...



Time (and time again...)
Back in Australia, at the school where I teach, I have mastered the art of cheating time. I programme the photocopying machine to make 50 copies or so for the next class. I use the time it will take to do the job to go to the toilet... I press the start button and I go. When I come back, the job has just been completed. I have achieved two important things in one single stretch of time. Who says men can’t be multitasked???
Today at my cottage in Rugerero, time takes a completely different dimension. I did not need to steal time because there is so much of it that I do not know what to do with all of it! When I observe people around me, I notice that none of them rushes around. There are no external forces enticing them to do so. They seem to be ‘more in the moment’ and far less concerned than me with cheating time... I sincerely hope that after three months in their company, I will live more in their type of time!
I thought I was cheating time, but perhaps time was cheating me...

No comments:

Post a Comment