Friday, January 22, 2010

What’s a classroom? 16 cupboards, please and quick Photos




Classrooms are Rugerero primary are currently minimalist rooms: basic desks and bench to accommodate 50 children or more, a blackboard. That’s it! No window pane, concrete floors and of course, no electricity.
I have been determined, even before I set foot to Rwanda, on making sure that each classroom receives a cupboard where children’s textbooks and teaching material will be safely left: each cupboard will be lockable. With the help of my good neighbour Papa Jacinth, I have located two local carpenters. I make an appointment with them at the school to take some relevant measurements. I let them draw the plans, we discuss their proposal, make some minor changes, haggle the price and agree on 50 000 RWFr each , material and labour (about 100 US $). Reasonable agrees Jacynth. WE have a budget of 400$, we need four times that amount... Allo, Christine, I need more money for the cupboards, pleaaaaase! - OK, no Problem, go ahead. – Thank you Christine, thank you, fund raisers, thank you fund providers...
Now the challenge will be to get these very friendly carpenters work fast... The wood (mostly eucalyptus will be bought from a plantation a few hours away.
I want to see a sample cupboard before launching into mass production. They do everything by hand, no electrical tools (no electricity...) , they have to smooth each plank with a plane. To day on my way to school, I stop at their workshop – it is basic but it does look like a carpenter space. I am reassured!
-So, when can we have them? – Seven weeks, comes the shocking answer... – No way, José! – Well, if we get a couple more carpenter to help, we can go faster... – Get them! 4-5 weeks, maximum... you are not doing this for me, you ae doing this for the kids, your children, the future of Rwanda!!!! We all shed a tear or two... I anticipate a few more visits to the carpenter’s workshop in the next few weeks... Pushy??? – Yes, pushy, but fair...
I personally would like to have window panes put on each window. WE have not budgeted anything for this... I can already hear Christine’s phone ringing... We’ll see. Fundraisers: on your marks, set, go!!!
I want each teacher to feel good about the classroom s/he is working in. I want them to decorate the walls, to exhibit some of the children’s work there as well. I want some colours on these somber bricks... I want a happier place for learning!
Pushy, VERY pushy, idealistic??? - You bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment