Friday, January 22, 2010

It ain't Monopoly



The last time I held so many bank notes in my hands was when I played Monopoly. This was a very long time ago. I did not care if some notes went missing in the course of the game. There was a real joy derived from watching other players’ piles become thinner on the table whilst mine was getting fatter. Wealth was a palpable and visual feast. Today in Australia we transfer money from one account to another, we pay bills via the Internet, our salaries are deposited directly on our ban accounts, we buy goods with credit cards. We have lost the sensation of associating wealth with having a fat wallet.
In Rwanda, the concept of plastic or virtual money does not exist. People play Monopoly for real. I have just joined the game, but this time, I do care if some notes go missing. That’s why I often have to count, recount, check again if I own what I am supposed to own. This process can take a long time, beacause I belong to the category of the ‘rich ones’.
Thank God, in Rwanda, I seem to have more time to do the things I have to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment