Thursday, January 28, 2010

Solar panels appeal Please, please, let’s there be light


Solar panels appeal... Please, please, let’s there be light

A school should have some electricity. Rugerero primary does not...
In two months’ time, would like to leave the area (I am sad already to think about it) with the good feeling that the school will now be able to operate CD players, show senior pupils how to use i a computer in their IT classes, have a few light bulbs in each classroom, has a printer and can easily access the Internet.
I am not asking for a Las Vegas extravaganza, just for a stepping stone to access basic educational technology requiring electricity. Electricity from the grid won’t be coming here for many years, if it does, so, solar panels are the way to go to move forward NOW... I was encouraged to make this a short term goal after I went to meet the the local administrative office Of the Kivu sector, on the hill right next to Rugerero Primary. Entering their premises was like entering another world: light bulbs, power sockets, computers, printers, Internet access... it looked like any modern office. Vincent, the man in charge, said he was very happy with the set up he had: electricity 365 days a year, no problem.
Rugerero Primary deserves a similar set up! I have made good progress sourcing the company which installed their system, they are happy to do the same for us and I am waiting for the quote.
I hereby make a formal appeal to people in Australia... If you can, please contribute a few dollars to help this project become reality. If you can, go to the Abana website (www.abana.org.au) and follow the prompts or contact Chrisine, the Aban President of this small worthy NGO.

Please, please, let’s there be light

5 comments:

  1. I went to the website you quoted above but it was just a 'parked' website with some company that owns various domains. I have tried googling but have been unsuccesful in locating the correct website.

    Regards
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy

    Sorry about this. I have now entered the correct address
    Jose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci bien. I will check this out.

    I am following your activities with great interest. What you are doing is not only fascinating but you have a wonderful gift of observing the cultural differences and bringing them to life in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy

    Thank you for your kind comments. Did you get to visit the Abana website?
    I am enjoying the cultural and human experience here in Rwanda.
    How did you come across my blog?
    Take care
    Jose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi José

    I have been able to acces the Abana website. Many thanks.

    I am continuing to read and enjoy my experience of Rwanda through your eyes. I have also shared your site with friends and colleagues.

    I am Australian and live in Adelaide. I have done 3 linguistic stays with the Alliance française de Rouen I came across you and your site through my volunteer work with them. It is a small world, n'est-ce pas?

    Take care,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete