Tuesday, February 2, 2010

When ‘yes’ means something else


I wish I could speak Kinyarwanda fluently, so it would bring me closer to the people I work with. We would definitely be more on the same wavelength. I would be less of a ‘muzungo’ and more of a closer collaborator. Unfortunately the maximum conversational turns I can manage is three, and it has to do with greetings and nothing else... (i) Good morning / afternoon I(...) (ii) how are you? (...) (iii) that’s great! It does help a little but it never takes me very far.
So, unfortunately, I have to resort to English and I find myself in an unwelcomed position of linguistic superiority which does not help. I realise that for many teachers, a lot of what I say goes above their heads. I can see it in their eyes and in their body language. Of course, I occasionally stop and ask: ‘did you understand what I just said?’ ‘Yes!’ is always the answer. Saying anything else would mean losing face publicly... Who likes to lose face publicly?
Things are even more critical with Baptiste, the cook. I ask: ‘Can you ask Papa Jacinth if I can have a word with him?’ He answers very loudly: ‘YES!’ and then stands there, just looking at me, hoping that the interaction is over... I ask him: ‘when are you going to the market to buy some vegetables?’ He answers very loudly: ‘YES!
It reminds me of one of my favourite poems by ee comings ‘Yes is a pleasant country...’
OH yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment