Friday, February 19, 2010

The old headmaster: a Rugerero metaphor or a universal archetype?


The transition old-new assistant to the headmistress has been very smooth. Frederic has already done some good work in helping me to identify some local trainers for the next 10 months or so. When he says he is going to do something, he does. I find it easier to work with people like this. The old headmaster who was demoted to being assistant to the headmistress and who was stood down from his ‘facade’ job a few day ago continues not to show up to school.
I am invited by the parents committee to attend a meeting where some issues regarding last year’s budget will be discussed. It so happened that a few millions RW F have not been accounted for... They were claimed by the old headmaster for this and that expenses but no ‘piece justificatrice’ (receipt) have ever been produced. A letter is written to the local authorities to bring this up. (Apparently this has happened before, but nothing was done). I am asked to say what I think. I say that I don’t want to meddle with internal issues, but I do say that parents have a right to know, to demand an explanation. The old headmaster has refused to attend the meeting... I have decided already that I have done enough to insure his demise, that it is now time to move forward and focus on the 2010 budget, among other tings! Is the old headmaster an archetype of corrupt power? Perhaps, perhaps not. But he is gone and I hear later that he has been appointed to another school (exactly what I was hoping for). I tell the people at the meeting that one of my first observations after I landed in Rwanda, was reading a huge sign outside the International airport Terminal saying: ‘Let’s put an end to corruption’...
At the end of the meeting, the vice president of the parents committee gives me a big hug. I feel honoured. Is the departure of the old headmaster a metaphor for new beginning, for a new Rwanda?

No comments:

Post a Comment