Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day of National Heroes





Day of National Heroes
February first is a holiday in Rwanda. It is the day dedicated to ‘National Heroes’. I personally have some misgivings towards the adjective ‘national’ and what it can connote... As for the word ‘hero’ , it is not unambiguous either. Gandhi and Hitler were both categorised as ‘heroes’ at some stage of history...
A few people have gathered, all local residents of the nearby hills. They all know each other. They form a tightly knit community, especially the women, it seems. The group of women I saw dancing and singing the last couple of days were actually rehearsing for this little ceremony. To day, they have all dressed up very nicely and they are performing for the community and a few local dignitaries. A very small tent to provide shade for them has been erected. I am invited to join these dignitaries. As I come to sit with them, I have the following image in my head: ??? outer infinite – Universe/Cosmos – Galaxies – Solar system – Planet Earth – Africa – Rwanda – South Province – Nyaraguru district – Kivu sector – cyanyiankoro cell – roussinde village – individual - ??? inner infinite . Today these few individual are my heroes! Women sing and dance, People applaud them. Occasionally a couple of men from the audience come and join them for a brief impromptu connexion with them. Some forms of interactive speeches are delivered. The message: have less children, make sure hygiene is always present in your everyday life, grow food in your garden. (Papa Jacynth kindly translates for me). Some men in the audience openly and unashamedly listen to their radios during this ceremony. At some stage, the President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame’s speech is broadcast live. The sound level is set to its maximum, so we can all hear it. We all clap at the end.
Somehow, I don’t feel so cut off from this lovely group of people, I am a muzungo, but I am as much part of them as they are becoming part of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment