Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First day of school for the children




To day I went to school with a different anticipation: children would be there. Here are a few observations...
When I park my motorbike I am immediately surrounded by hundred of children driven by curiosity or wanting to say: ‘Good morning, how are you?’ I greet them. They all want to follow me as I head towards the headmistress office...
The government has recently added three more ye ars of compulsory education and has built new classes for them . This means that some of the pupils look much older and it is did=fficult to tell them apart from some of the teachers...
Callixte, the assistant to the headmaster did not show up and nobody knows where he is. He has the key to a few classes. We need to improvise, fast the relocation of some of the children.
I come and greet the children in their classrooms. They are all well behaved, incredibly so, considering that there are 50 to 60 of them in each class.
I notice a few things that will need to be fixed in several classrooms. The headmistress will need to organise this. I will make sure that she does.
It is become very clear that I will need to spend quite a lot of time training and motivating the management of the school. Jeanette is very shy and lacks self-confidence. I tell her how vital her role is and that I am more than happy to help. I add that I am only here for three months, she is here for the long haul...
We decide to have a staff meeting in the afternoon when the children have gone home. She says she will notify all teachers. The children are only at school for half day, which is very lucky.
The teachers room is very messy. Builders have left some of their building material there, books, papers are on the floor. I organise a few senior pupils and some idle teachers to clear and clean. We bring a few tables and chairs , someone sweeps the floor, we clean up a very messy cupboard, so we can store teacher resources there. I put a few posters on the walls, I bring in a few basic equipment I bought in Kigali for the teachers, and little by little, the builder storage room is transformed into a room where teacher can work...
In the afternoon we have a two hour meeting. I introduce myself to those teachers I have not met yet and tell them how I intend to work with them for the next two months, and then I let Jeanette take over. She starts organising who will be teaching which class...
Houston, we have a lift-off! This is just a beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment