Saturday, February 6, 2010

Training the teachers


Today Saturday, I have taught two training sessions, one at Rugerero, where I go everyday, and another one at Rusuzumiro, another local primary school. Rusuzumiro receives a lot of help from a German NGO, this is why I have focused my effort on Rugerero, and this keeps me busy). I am impressed by these teachers who have chosen to use the little free time they have to come and do some extra work. It is true that most of them have received very little professional training and despite their recent intensive English course provided by the Rwanda government, their language skills are very poor. They are used to a teacher-centred approach of classroom interaction that, when it comes to USING English (instead of hearing it or hearing ABOUT it), their language production is quite poor – talking is practically non-existent or very basic for many of them... and they have to teach in English! So, a lot of work has to be done. I also want to show them another teaching style, so they can reflect and perhaps modify their own practice. As much as I can, I provide activities where the active onus is on them. They respond well and are quite happy to take centre stage. We also have a brain storming session to explore ways of practising and improving their English when I am gone. There are a few ways indeed.
We need more books for them to read, more dictionaries at the school (I have already ‘made a deal’ with the headmistress – the school will purchase 10 dictionaries, Abana will purchase 10). Next week I have organised for a publishing company from Kigali to come to the school and show teaching material for teachers and readers. Many teachers have no idea what teaching aids are available, few of them own an English book – English culture and language are still very foreign to most of them. They asked me what the word ‘Shakespeare’ meant... I told them it referred to a person... They had never heard of him... Sorry, William!
How much will be able to accomplish in less than two months I have left with them... I am not sure. What I am sure of is that training these teachers is vital if we want the children to succeed in learning. Do I wish I had more time here? You bet...

No comments:

Post a Comment