Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ode to my generator

I have become used to having no electricity, to do everything by candle light when the sun has deserted us for another part of the planet. I have enjoyed the silence and the slower pace of life that comes along with the absence of electrical power. BUT I must admit that I am completely and helplessly reliant on my generator to have a level of psychological comfort that I am hooked on.
Yes, I confess: I use the generator once a day for about one hour – not to generate light but to plug in my laptop and work. ... While the generator is on, there is a frenzy of battery recharging - a fight against time; I recharge the battery of the laptop, of my camera, of the head torch I use at night and early in the morning to read or write. I also recharge the batteries of my mobile phone, of my MP3... I have not gone native all the way, far from it! When they hear the generator, the neighbours also come to the cottage and bring their mobile phones to be recharged as well.
I am very aware that when electricity eventually comes to this part of the world, it will have a profound effect on its people – for better or for worse???

1 comment:

  1. yes the onset of electricity will have a massive impact huh? So many ++ and -- to consider. I guess we have to assume that used wisely it will be net benefit to your community!!
    I guess you are fitting in pretty well now - but at the middle of your experience in Rwanda I'm sure its also a bit lonely and stuff.
    The scooter is going well thank you and I've managed to link my e-toll to your bike so now ALL GOOD through the tunnels and bridge!!
    Your blog is fantastic and really makes it easy to imagine le grande escargot among the locals!
    You should have a look at http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/local/6741455/activists-try-to-clean-coal-at-bondi/
    You will see Terry at his best in protest mode.
    Lots of love from all back here and from Janice too, who we saw the other day.
    Cheers
    Steve + Kezza

    February 6, 2010 8:31 PM

    ReplyDelete