Sunday, March 28, 2010

Venise Vs Kivu

Today, Sunday I have decided that it is time so see some water.
I have enjoyed the 3 hours scenic bus drive to Kibuye, a peaceful town on Lake Kivu (about 100 km long), on the border to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
I am sitting on the porch of my room - right on the lake, soaking in the atmosphere, when a man on his boat calls me and asks if I want to have a ride on the lake... OK, how about in one hour? OK. How much? 2000Rwf (4 $). Deal!!!

I meet him as planned, off we are. The balance on the boat is delicate but I trust him... As soon as we start gliding on the water, he breaks into some African chanting (I can tell it is not Kinyrwanda, it is Swahili... Good guess, muzungu!). His very deep and loud voice resonates throughout the lake.
I am really enjoying this! Very romantic and exotic at the same time... Venise, eat your heart out...

No comments:

Post a Comment