Friday, March 5, 2010

Quality control



Today, when I arrive at school, I notice that a lot of teachers are busy filling out their course programmes, their attendance sheets and other forms... How unusual! What is happening? Frederic, the assistant to the headmistress, tells me that school inspectors are in the area. They were in a school nearby yesterday. I can see that there is a universal fear of school inspectors... I have seen similar reactions in other parts of the world... A fear of the Gestapo, a fear of being judged, branded as a failure in the educational system of a nation...
Indeed the inspectors arrive – three of them, two males and one female. Well dressed, city-sophistication, a certain feeling of self-importance, a definite school inspector look. I go and introduce myself to them, tell them about Abana... I tell them to be kind, that these teachers work under difficult conditions; I tell them that I can’t find any maths books for the Class 6 children; I ask them who we should call to get them, I tell them that rural primary school teacher training is so important in Rwanda... (‘Bloody muzungus’...). They do listen to me and we engage in a constructive conversation. The lady inspector says she will help me to find some trainers for these teachers. She gives me her phone number, I give her my email address and I plan to visit her in Butare, where she is based.
She gives me a copy of the document they use to assess the teaching efficiency. Good! It is slightly more sophisticated than my performance contract, which stipulates: Teachers must remain awake in class at all times...’ I am glad the inspector came to day! They can help the Rugerero Primary cause.
And by the way, 4 out of the 5 teachers inspected received a ‘good’ overall evaluation. Frederic received a ‘very good’ I always knew I did not have anything to teach him. I do tell him, however, that it is now his duty to share his experience and expertise with the less trained teachers. He agrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment