Thursday, March 11, 2010

Last stretch for volunteer number 3



I have about two more weeks of work at the school. I would have liked to say: ‘all done, mission accomplished, but quite realistically Rugerero Primary will still need some help for some time, and not only financial help. Immediate follow up action is going to be vital between Abana committee in Australia, its President Christine and the School management. There is still some ongoing matters to finalise in the next few weeks...
-          Frederic and I have opened an email account for him, so he can stay in contact with Abana Australia. The Rwandan government has given the school a laptop, will the money that I have left, I will buy a modem and some phone credit: Internet and phone connections are works quite well at the School. No excuse like in the past of saying ‘we have no idea what is happening at Rugerero...
-          I am busy finalising some in-service training for teachers, for the rest of the year. Highly qualified trainers (all national School inspectors in  specific subjects or general teaching methodology) have accepted to come and help. They will need to be paid for their time and effort – some of them would be coming from Kigali.Abana Committee will need to organise their payment. I won’t be here any more to do so. It can easily be done.
-          I have suggested a performance contract for the teachers and management of the school, so the ‘good’ teachers are rewarded with a bonus at the end of the school year. Abana Australia will need to honour this promise. I have already sent the costing of this scheme to the Committee.
-          The teaching Resource Centre I have set up is up and running. It will need to be kept in good, functional order. I will leave this for Frederic and another teacher who has offered to help, to do so. Frederic is the most important human resource at the school. The headmistress is too often absent (at meeting, sick or ???). She does not have the same rapport with the staff. She is incredibly shy... I have had to accept this reality and work past her.
-          A final detailed quote for solar panels to be installed at the school has also been sent to the Abana Committee. They will decide whether to proceed or not, and if so, when.
-          I hope that most teachers now have a clearer idea of what active teaching is all about and what focusing on learners entails – I have serious doubt about a couple of them – but this would apply to most school, all over the world. This is wher I feel I would have needed more time to work with the staff. Last Saturday, we did some singing together with the CD player bought by Abana and the couple of CD I brought from Sydney. It was good fun and we explored possible ways of using this medium to  develop language skills.
-          I do feel some increased confidence and enthusiasm from quite a number of teachers. The school inspectors confirmed this to me. Will it last, will it grow, will it dwindle? Time will tell.

This experience has been incredibly enriching for me personally. As I suspected, I have learned much more than I have taught. I have enjoyed working in an environment totally different from what I have known in the 35 years I have been involved in education. I have met some wonderful people and I have come to love this country. Last but not least this experience will have had a strong impact on my inner self...
Thank you Abana for trusting me with this mission. Over to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment