Monday, March 15, 2010

Abana Jo, the WhiteTornado



A classroom wall reveals a lot about what happens in a classroom, what education is provided within the four walls. I will let you infer what has happened in this one, over the last few years.
It hurts my eyes to see that children spend their days in such an environment. When teachers don’t bother to open the shutters and darkness is added to the ambience, I don’t find it to be a conducive learning atmosphere... I have wanted to do something about it for quite some time...
I approached the president of the parents committee, Gaspard, and suggested that he find some volunteer parents, that together, we should whitewash all the classroom walls. I will provide the lime required. He agrees to go along with this project...
I asked Frederic to help locate where we can buy the lime, how much would be needed and how it could be delivered to the school by Saturday... Why Saturday? Because it is the one day per month set aside for community work – everybody is supposed to get involved... so I thought: ‘community’ – 'school’ – ‘free labour’... let’s do it! ‘
Buying the lime is cheap, getting it to the school is complicated and very expensive I(it doubles the cost). 
But when there is a will, there is a way. I hope we can pull it through... I hope i can show a photo of a clean wall soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment